A fire broke out at a private hotel in Vijayawada; at least 9 dead

Vijayawada Fire Accident: A fire broke in the wee hours on Sunday morning in private hotel holding coronavirus patients in Vijayawada; a short circuit had reportedly caused the fire
Written By Akanksha Sridhara | Updated: August 09, 2020 11:23 IST
A fire broke out at a private hotel in Vijayawada; at least 9 dead

A private hotel being used as a coronavirus facility in Vijayawada, Andhra Pradesh caught fire in the early hours on Sunday. The fire has reportedly killed 9 people. The private hospital Hotel Swarna Palace was leased out to place COVID-29 patients.

Chief Minister Jagan Mohan Reddy has now announced an ex-gratia of Rs 50 lakhs to the kin of the deceased. He has also ordered an in-depth probe into the matter. The CM has also directed authorities to take steps to ensure better medical care to the injured.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi tweeted out his condolences. “Anguished by the fire at a COVID Centre in Vijayawada. My thoughts are with those who have lost their loved ones. I pray that the injured recover as soon as possible. Discussed the prevailing situation with AP CM @ysjagan Ji and assured all possible support,” wrote PM Modi.
According to the police, a short circuit in an air-conditioner on the ground floor led to the fire.
According to reports, at least 7 patients jumped from the terrace in a rush of panic. 2 others died of asphyxiation after the thick fumes engulfed the hotel.
The remaining patients are now at a nearby government hospital, said District Collector Imtiaz Ahmed.
The incident follows another fire that broke out a few days ago. A fire at a private hospital in Navrangpura, Ahmedabad had killed 8 people. The hospital was holding 49 patients in the 50-bed Shrey Hospital; 8 of them were in the ICU on the 4th floor. The 8 of them died when the 4th floor was severely damaged by the fire.